Eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables and typically I make eggplant parm cutlets from Trader Joe’s at least once a month, but lately I’ve been on a falafel kick. And Trader Joe’s falafel mix does not disappoint.
Here is everything you need to make this semi homemade recipe:
(scroll down for the recipe)
- Trader Joe’s falafel mix
- cooking spray
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ground cumin
- Trader Joe’s tabbouli *
- fresh flat leaf parsley
- red onion
- lemon juice
- Trader Joe’s tahini or hummus *
What Kind of Eggplant to Use?
Traditional eggplant is best for this falafel stuffed eggplant recipe, as apposed to a smaller Chinese eggplant variety. Look for a medium to large size eggplant with smooth and glossy skin.
How to Roast an Eggplant
For this roasted eggplant recipe we do not need to create a salt bath for the eggplant, which is something often recommended when preparing roasted eggplant, to get rid of the bitterness. The seasoning we use for this recipe creates a delicious and flavorful roasted eggplant.
You also do not need to peel the skin. Though it can be a little tough, it is totally ok to eat the eggplant skin. For this recipe, I typically end up scooping out all of the eggplant meat and use the eggplant shell as more of a plate, but the skin is certainly edible.
How to Prepare Stuffed Eggplant
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Meanwhile, in a small ramekin combine olive oil, paprika, coriander, cumin, cinnamon To prepare the eggplant, slice the eggplant in half lengthwise, scoop the seeds leaving most of the meat on the vegetable (or is it really a fruit?) Coat the eggplant halves with the marinade mix and place on the baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray and place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the meat of the eggplant is tender and browned.
Try Other Semi Homemade Recipes
Easy Baked Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
Easy Pineapple Shrimp Fried “Rice”
Chicken Meatballs and Orzo Recipe
What Makes this Stuffed Eggplant Recipe Semi Homemade?
For the semi homemade version of this recipe we use the Trader Joe’s falafel mix. This is a huge time saver and the mix is very good, plus bonus points of baking falafel instead of deep frying it.
Typically, just one cup of the falafel mix is enough. Once the eggplant is ready, you will simply spread the falafel mix on each half of the eggplant and roast for another 10 minutes until you get a crispy falafel topping.
I like using Trader Joe’s prepared tabbouli and hummus as a relish for the eggplant. You could also make a tahini sauce. Trader Joe’s does sell a tahini sauce. Mix your tahini with sour cream or Greek yogurt, garlic, paprika, water and lemon and pour the tahini sauce over the prepared eggplant.
Falafel Stuffed Roasted Eggplant Recipe
Falafel Stuffed Eggplant with Tabbouli Relish
- 1 eggplant, halved lengthwise and scooped
- 1 cup Trader Joe's falafel mix
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup Trader Joe's tabbouli
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- Preheat the oven to 425°, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile prepare the falafel mix according to the package and set aside.
- In a small ramekin, combine olive oil, paprika, coriander, cumin and cinnamon, and salt and pepper, then set this aside this seasoning mix for a moment.
- Wash and cut your eggplant in half, lengthwise. Top with the seasoning mixture. Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray then place the eggplant side up on the cooking tray and roast for 20 minutes.
- To make the relish combine tomatoes, red onion, parsley and avocado. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and lemon. Add tabbouli to the mixture if you like.
- Take out the eggplant. Layer the halves with a the falafel mixture and place back into the oven to roast for another 10 minutes, or until the falafel is cooked through and crispy.
- Once the falafel stuffed eggplant is done. Take it out of the oven, top with relish and a scoop of hummus. Serve immediately!
[…] Falafel Stuffed Roasted Eggplant Recipe […]