Sharing my tried and true crab cakes recipe served with shaved zucchini salad for a delicious summer meal perfect for date night.
Despite being knee deep in June gloom at the moment. Otherwise known as the few weeks in SoCal when it isn’t sunny, my brain has switched to summer. I’m craving seasonal produce and lighter meals. It’s also bikini season, so lighter meals are a must. Cut to me buying up all the zucchini and going crazy with the spiralizer.
But seriously, this shaved zucchini salad with extra squeeze of lemon and lots of parmesan cheese, paired with my tried and true crab cake recipe is the most delicious summer meal, possibly ever.
What Kind of Crab Meat is Best for Crab Cakes?
I’ve been making this crab cake recipe for about 10 years! The only difficult part about making crab cakes at home when you have this recipe is finding good lump crab meat to use and then actually allowing for enough time for the cakes to congeal.
Otherwise, everything sort of falls apart. And we want them cakes gorgeous, don’t we?!So, if you’re going to make crab cakes, you absolutely want to use lump crab meat.
Recipe for Lump Crab Cakes
- 2 lbs lump crabmeat or 2 (16 oz cans)
- 2 eggs
- 2tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp dry parsley flakes
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbs vegetable oil, or more for frying.
- 4 slices white bread, cut crust off cut into cubes or 1 cup of breadcrumbs.
- In a medium size bowl combine eggs, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning, parsley, mayo and mustard. Mix well. Place crabmeat in a separate bowl and add your cubed bread, pour the wet mixture over the crabmeat and bread or breadcrumbs and then gently mix until the crabmeat and bread is covered in the egg mixture.
- Work with your hands to create round balls of the mixture, then place in the refrigerator. Wait at least a half hour before frying the crab cakes.
Pour the oil in your frying pan and wait a few moments for the oil to be hot. Once the oil is ready gently place your crab cakes into the pan. Do not touch for several minutes. Then gently flip the cakes over and wait a few minutes, then lower the temperature. Cakes should be cooked through in 4-5 minutes on each side.
Shaved Zucchini Salad Recipe
(Use 1 zucchini per person. This recipe makes enough for two people)
- 2 zucchinis, shaved with a spiralizer or peeler
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice one lemon
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- A spiralizer typically comes with another end, which allows you to shave the veggie. If you do not have a spiralizer you can use a vegetable peeler to shave the zucchini super thin. It really makes a difference to have the zucchini slices so thinly, especially since we are eating it raw.
- In a bowl whisk together olive oil, red pepper flakes and lemon juice. Then toss in the zucchini add salt and pepper and top with as much parmesan cheese as you like.
I love the combo of the lemony and crunchy zucchini with these melt in your mouth crab cakes. Hope you give this combo a try on one of these summer nights! Also, pair it with a rose for a fun date night at home 🙂