Spicy, tangy and healthy–if that doesn’t describe a perfect summer appetizer I don’t know what does. These grilled shrimp avocado zucchini bites are delicious and only take a few minutes to make.
I love a light and refreshing summer appetizer and this one fits the bill perfectly. Grilled zucchini slices topped with freshly smashed avocado and grilled shrimp. Slices zucchini bites are a great no-bread alternative and once grilled make a perfect bed for the avocado and the shrimp.
Ingredients You Need to Make Grilled Shrimp Avocado Zucchini Bites
(Scroll down for amounts and directions)
- smoked paprika
- avocado / guacamole
- salt & pepper
First, we make a quick shrimp marinade of garlic and smoked paprika powder and olive oil. While the shrimp sits in the marinade we slice up our zucchini and grill it for just a few moments.
Then we mix a few ripe avocados, add a little lemon and salt and pepper and now we are ready to grill the shrimp. You can also use prepared guacamole.
Once the shrimp are grilled, make your appetizer. Drizzle with a little lemon and serve warm!
How do you grill shrimp without drying it out?
To properly grill the shrimp the trick is to not over do it. Make sure your grill is hot. Place the shrimp on the grill wait 2-3 minutes or until you see the tails turn pink. Once the tails are pink turn the shrimp over and cook the other side for no longer than 2-3 minutes. Set the grilled shrimp aside.
Tip: Once you see the shrimp completely curl into themselves, you’ve over cooked them.
Check out My Other Favorite Summer Appetizers Here
Serve the shrimp appetizer with this white sangria recipe.
grilled shrimp avocado zucchini bites
- 1 lb shrimp, tails on, deveined
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 lemon
- 2 ripe avocado ( can use 1/2 cup guacamole )
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Start by marinating the shrimp. Add olive oil, minced garlic, smoked paprika to a bowl. Mix and then add shrimp. Let the shrimp marinade in the mixture in the refrigerator while you prepare the zucchini bites.
- Slice the zucchini into thin slices.
- Grill the slices for 2-3 minutes on each side. Set aside to cool.
- Smash your avocados, add lemon and salt and pepper or simply use prepared guacamole.
- Grill the shrimp 2-3 minutes on each side , or until pink and then set aside.
- To assemble, add 1 teaspoon of avocado or guacamole to each slice. Top with a grilled shrimp. Serve warm.