A low-calorie version of a Cuban classic mojito drink, this skinny tangerine mojito recipe packs lots of flavor and skips the sugar for a tasty and delicious cocktail.
A mojito cocktail is like the ultimate “summer is here” vibe, but nothing kills a good vibe like finding out your favorite summer cocktail is about 300 calories.
Which is why I came up with a skinny tangerine mojito recipe—all the delicious summer vibes without the sugar.
Ingredients To Make Low Calorie Fresh Tangerine Mojito
Scroll down for proportions and the recipe
- flavored sparkling water
What’s in a mojito drink?
A mojito is a Cuban cocktail which consists of five ingredients: white rum, sugar, lime juice, soda water, and mint.
Mint, lime, sugar and rum are muddled together and then topped with club soda.
For this low-calorie version we skip the sugar all together but not the flavor.
Using fresh fruit like tangerine still makes this cocktail sweet and refreshing and I promise you won’t miss the sugar.
Skipping the sugar (or traditionally, cane sugar) also makes this mojito keto friendly.
Which rum is best for a mojito?
For the best mojito flavor a good white rum is absolutely a must. Dark rum changes the flavor profile of the drink. If you want to get fancy try the Flor De Cana. It’s aged white rum, which is rare. It is dry, light bodied and perfect for tropical drinks.
Another less known rum is Diplomatico Planas Rum. It’s rich in flavor and pairs well with fruit or creamy cocktails.
For this cocktail, I used Bacardi. It’s light, easy to find on the shelf at any store and really its the rum thats practically synonymous with a mojito. It’s sweet, with hints of vanilla and tastes great with lime and mint.
How to make other versions of a mojito
- To make a mojito mocktail simply skip the rum. The muddled fruit and mint topped with club soda makes for a refreshing cocktail without alcohol.
- Try a blueberry mojito. The sweetness of blueberries is a great substitute for sugar if you’re not a fan of tangerines.
- If you are not a fan of rum, you can also make a mojito with vodka. Vanilla flavored vodka would be a great choice. I wouldn’t recommend making a mojito with tequila, but if you’re looking for a delicious tequila cocktail, try my skinny jalapeño margarita recipe.
- Add flavored sparkling water for additional flavor, especially when skipping sugar. La Croix sparkling water or the Target brand are some of my favorites.
Skinny Fresh Tangerine Mojito Recipe
- 2 oz rum
- 1 lime
- 6 mint leaves
- 1 tangerine
- 1/2 cup flavored sparkling water
- Add lime, mint leaves and a peeled tangerine to your glass. Muddle the ingredients together.
- Add rum
- Fill glass with ice. Pour the mixture into a shaker. Shake. Then pour back into the glass.
- Top with club soda. Garnish with lime and mint leaves