Sweet sausage with onions and peppers and fingerling potatoes topped with arugula. Sounds like a lot of work, but I promise this one is the easiest and also gets top marks from my little crew. A simple play on an Italian sausage and peppers, this spin gets pesto and arugula, which feels modern and a bit more sophisticated—meanwhile the entire thing just happens in one skillet.
- 4 sweet sausage links ( or tofu sausage or whatever you like!)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 yellow pepper sliced into stripped
- 1 red pepper sliced stripped
- 1 package of fingerling potatoes
- 1/2 package of baby arugula
- 1/2 container of pesto
- salt & pepper to taste
- handful of dill
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, use a skillet that has a lid. Add sausage links, brown on all sides, 3-5 minutes and then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, boil a pot of water. Add potatoes and boil for 20 minutes. Strain the potatoes, add one tablespoon of olive oil, chopped garlic, dill and toss all together. ( I recommend doing this step in the beginning of the week, and have the potatoes ready to add to this dinner and available for lunch)
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the onions and peppers until translucent.
- Slice the sausage and add to the onions and peppers. Slice the potatoes and add those to the skillet.
- Add one to two tablespoons of pesto—optional, it tastes just as delicious without it.
- Turn off the heat, add the arugula and toss everything, then serve.
This recipe is part of my four week nights dinner series. Here you can find other recipes and a shopping list.