This Russian “Olivier” Potato Salad is a classic dish and a staple at every gathering. Also known as Ensalada Rusa among Spanish speakers. Any way you call it, this is hands down the best potato salad recipe.
Russian “Olivier” Potato Salad
The beauty of this potato salad recipe is that all of the ingredients are cut to about the same size, so once mixed together you get a perfect fork full of all and it’s a perfect balance of tangy and sweet.
There are tons of variations of the Olivier Salad. Some make Russian potato salad with dill. Others, make Russian potato salad with apples. But, regardless of what you add or don’t add to this ensalada rusa, the point of this dish is the variety of flavors of each bite.
Other Recipes You Make Like
The story behind Salad “Olivier”
There is a folklore tale about this Russian potato salad recipe and how it got its name “Olivier”. Supposedly, a French aristocrat living in Russia had a huge party and the next day needed to feed all of his hungry and hung-over friends. So he cleared out his pantry and mixed it all together, creating what is now known as the salad “Olivier” or Russian Potato Salad.
The Perfect Side Dish for Easter or a BBQ
I like this story because it explains just how perfect this salad is for a BBQ or a party, or as a side dish for the holidays. I typically make it for Easter, but in many latin countries, ensalada Rusa is a Christmas staple.
Try another Russian Classic Dish— Borscht Soup or Vegetarian Beet Soup
While looking at the ingredient list may make you wonder if pickles, sweet peas, carrots and ham will work into a deliciousness I promised. I can assure you they will. The trick is to cut every ingredient into about the same size so that each fork full is a yummy balance of salty, tangy and sweet.
The Best Potato Salad Recipe
Russian Style "Olivier" Potato Salad
Russet Potatoes, cooked with skin on, diced
- 3 eggs, cooked, diced
- 4 large carrots, cooked, diced
- 5 pickles, diced
- 1 can sweet peas, drained
- 1/2 lbs deli ham, diced
- 3 tbsp mayo
- salt & pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with water to boil. Once boiling add potatoes and carrots, both unpeeled. Cook for about a half hour on medium heat. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a small pot of water and add the eggs once boiling. Cook eggs for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Once your potatoes and carrots have cooled, peel and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add cut carrots and potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- Open and drain the sweet peas can, then add to the bowl. Cut your ham, eggs and pickles into cubes and add to the bowl. Remember to cut everything in similar size to the peas.
- Add mayo and salt & pepper and mix well. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Pin This Russian Style Potato Salad for Later