This spicy creamy asparagus soup recipe is perfect when you’re craving something creamy and light with a little kick. And it’s a breeze to make.
I love asparagus so much, that last week I ended up with two bushels of it. I came home with a freshly bought one, only to see more in the fridge.
It was also a chilly week in Southern California, which instantly made me want comfort food and of course soup. So that’s how this light and spicy creamy asparagus soup was born.
(scroll for proportions and the super easy recipe)
- jalapeño pepper
- olive oil
- Vegeta (or other seasoning you like to add to your soups)
- 2% milk
- baguette or croutons
- salt and pepper to taste
Unlike many other soups I typically make, like this minestrone one, or my borcht, the asparagus soup was a breeze to make. Hardly any work required and it’s delicious.
Other Soup Recipes You May Like
Quick Semi Homemade Chicken Soup
What Are The Benefits to Eating Asparagus?
Asparagus is low in calories and a great source of nutrients, including fiber, folate and vitamins A, C and K. Additionally, eating asparagus has a number of potential health benefits, including weight loss, improved digestion, healthy pregnancy outcomes and lower blood pressure.
Can I Freeze Homemade Asparagus Soup?
You can freeze this creamy asparagus soup for up to 3 months. Defrost the soup in the refrigerator for 12 hours and then reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until hot.
Can You Reheat Soup With Cream In It?
To reheat soups containing milk, cream, eggs or cheese use low heat and stir frequently. Boiling may cause ingredients to separate. Thaw soups in the refrigerator and use promptly.
Print Ready Recipe for the Spicy Asparagus Soup Recipe
Creamy Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup 2% or skim milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup croutons or several slices of a baguette (optional)
- 1/4 cup parmesan or mozzarella cheese (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until the stalks are tender, but not mushy. About 10 minutes.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a pan. Add onion, jalapeño and garlic and sauté lightly for 5 minutes.
- Once asparagus is roasted, let cool for a moment, then cut into 2 inch-long
stalks. Combine the sautéd mixture, asparagus, milk, 1/4 cup of vegetable stock and
blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Add Vegeta and salt and pepper
- Pour the pureed mixture into a pot and simmer until everything is warm once
again. I like the soup on the thicker side, but feel free to add water once its
simmering on the pot.
- Serve with toasted piece of a baguette drizzled with olive oil and topped
with the head of a roasted asparagus, or toasty croutons.
- Bonus: add mozzarella or parmesan cheese to the croutons or baguette for additional flavor.
lovely! what a gorgeous green!