A delicious take on a classic, this healthy vegetarian quinoa and kale minestrone soup is hearty, flavorful and full of good for you nutrients.
My grandmother used to say the secret to being a good cook is patience. That’s why I like making soups. It’s a good exercise in patience. You have to chop everything, so that each spoonful has all the ingredients evenly proportioned for balanced flavor.
We had a few rainy days here in Southern California, and it instantly made me want to have a hearty soup. Here is everything you’ll need to make this hearty fall soup.
(scroll for the recipe and portions)
- yellow onion, chopped
- carrots, chopped
- celery, chopped
- zucchini, chopped
- green beans, cut into ½ an inch
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- garlic, minced
- can of crushed tomatoes
- olive oil
- uncooked quinoa
- Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- chick peas, or garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- kale, with ribs removed
- sprig of thyme
- bay leaves
- Vegeta (optional)
- 5 cups of vegetable stock
- salt & pepper to taste
Other Soup Recipes You May Like
What Makes This Vegetarian Soup Hearty and Filling?
Chick peas! I’m a big fan of chickpeas or garbanzo beans. Chick peas in particular are high in protein and make an excellent replacement for meat in vegetarian or vegan dishes.
I love using them as a protein in dishes as they are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Chickpeas are also high in fiber, a rich source of vitamins and fiber. In short, a great addition to this healthy vegetarian quinoa and kale minestrone soup.
Does Quinoa Get Soggy in Soup?
Serve the soup with sliced avocado, grated parmesan cheese and a sliver of lime for additional flavor.
Print The Minestrone Soup Recipe
Quinoa and Kale Minestrone Soup
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1/2 inch
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 15 oz Cannellini beans can, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz Garbanzo beans or chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup kale, chopped, ribs removed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 limes
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 tbsp vegeta seasoning or herbs de provence
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over a medium heat. Add onion, carrot and
celery. Sauté the mixture until soft.
- Add zucchini, green beans, pepper and
sauté for another few minutes, until all vegetables are soft. Add garlic.
- Add the drained Cannellini beans and chick peas.
- Add crushed tomatoes, spices and Vegeta or seasoning of your choice to the mixture. Top with vegetable stock,
season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to boil.
- Spoon out the thyme sprig and the bay leaves.
- Add uncooked quinoa and let the soup simmer for another
20-25 minutes. Add kale and cook for another several minutes.
Shop Soup Essentials
[…] Healthy Minestrone Soup with Quinoa and Kale […]
[…] Quinoa and Kale Minestrone Soup […]
[…] Practice the mise-en-place technique with one of my favorite soup recipes, found here. […]
What a beautiful soup! I love making soup too- reminds me of grandma and also love everything coming together slowly.