Not to brag or anything, but Mauricio called this top favorite dinner, which over the years is a pretty big statement, he is my guinea pig after all. This delicious dinner has all the makings of a perfect fall meal, creamy without using cream, earthy because of the mushrooms and nourishing. Parmesan chicken with sun dried tomatoes and mushroom in a creamy sauce over jasmine rice for a weeknight win.
- 2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts , halved horizontally to make 4 fillets ( I buy the Organic and Kosher Chicken at Trader Joe’s)
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper
For The Sauce:
- 1 cup of sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups milk (reduced fat or full fat milk)
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons of milk
- ⅓ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (do not include for dairy free option)
- 2 tablespoons fresh shredded basil, to serve
- If you didn’t already make the rice while roasting the veggies as a prep, make the rice according to the package before starting dinner.
- Mix flour, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture; shake off excess and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Fry the chicken until golden on each side, cooked through and no longer pink (about 5-6 minutes each side, depending on the thickness of your chicken). Transfer onto a warm plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and sauté the garlic until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms; fry until the mushrooms are just soft.
- Reduce heat to low-medium heat, add the milk and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to your taste and add the milk/cornstarch mixture to the centre of the pan. Continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens.
- Add in the parmesan cheese; allow sauce to simmer for a few more minutes. Add the chicken back into the pan; sprinkle with the fresh basil and serve over the rice you already made.
This recipe is part of my four weeknight meals series. You can find a shopping list and other recipes here.