My nightly goal is to eat a healthy dinner with Mau, without us taking turns holding the baby. I’m new at the mom thing, so I don’t really know how to tackle this from the mom perspective. All I know how to do at the moment is to try to plan and create meals that I can whip up super fast, so we have more time to sit down and eat, while the baby plays in his playpen, (which he can manage for about a half an hour). This gives me about 15 minutes to make dinner happen. These pesto zucchini noodles with cherry tomatoes take less than that and they’re delicious! Here is the recipe for my own personal quick fire challenge 🙂
First, let’s not kid ourselves, zucchini is no pasta. Not even close. Not even if you squint, or drown the “noodles” in parmesan cheese. But, this doesn’t mean that this dish isn’t absolutely divine.
I might be a bit late to the spiralizer game, but it’s seriously my new favorite tool. I bought an inexpensive spiralizer, and it does the job well enough and gives you a little arm work out, but since I am now looking into spiralizing everything in sight, I’m thinking of investing in this one.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium zucchinis, spiralized using a spiralizer.
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes ( You can also cut these in half, but I kind of like how they burst in your mouth.)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 spoons of pesto ( You can substitute by using fresh basil, or you can buy the Trader Joe’s pesto which is pretty good.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cherry tomatoes and garlic to skillet. Then stir in the noodles. In about 5 minutes when veggies begin to soften, don’t wait too long or the noodles will get kind of mushy.
- Remove from heat, add pesto or fresh basil, as well as parmesan cheese. Toss everything and add salt and pepper to taste. That’s it!